Saturday, August 23, 2008

Khyber Pass

Tonight, I headed to Khyber Pass as I knew it was open and still have to clean my kitchen to cook and I've been trying to get there. Rugs everywhere, on the walls, on the ceiling, nice music piped in as well but not too loud, and the feel of the place was very light and airy even with all the rugs everywhere.

The meal started with half of a whole wheat pita and their cilantro/walnut chutney. Tangy and complex. I loved it.

Then they brought me my meal, a vegetarian platter with a spinach curry and a small curried potato next to each other on a bed of basmati rice, with a tomato and cucumber salad on the side. The spinach was cooked whole and texture wise like any other curry, but the flavorings were definitely not Indian. The potato reminded me of something my mom would make from childhood, but I couldn't quite place it. It was like a vague hint of a memory. Both were quite tasty and unique though.

Unfortunately, I think one of their key ingredients in their curries is yogurt, though not always listed out. I only have the way that my body is reacting to the food that I ate to point to that suspicion, unless I have an allergy or intolerance I don't know about.

So while I positively loved the food here, and would recommend it to anyone else, I'm not sure I'll be returning any time soon. ETA: I did go back, and had something without yogurt. And it didn't make me sick. I think it was just that one ingredient.

No comments:

Post a Comment